The T.M.C. Asser Instituut is a unique and leading inter-university research centre specialized in the field of international and European law. Its core activities of fundamental and applied research, postgraduate education, consultancy, knowledge dissemination and valorization are predominantly carried out on and from its premises in The Hague.
The Asser International Sports Law Centre (AISLC) was established in 2002 within the framework of the T.M.C. Asser Instituut. It provides high quality research, legal consultancy, and academic services to the sporting world at large (including sports ministries, international and intergovernmental organizations, sports associations and federations, the professional sports industry, etc.) on both a national and international basis. As a pioneer in the field of international sports law, the AISLC has established a worldwide network of academics and practitioners and cooperation agreements with various sports law institutes and centres in Europe and beyond. The AISLC edits and publishes the International Sports Law Journal (ISLJ) and the Asser International Sports Law book series and organizes a range of seminars, conferences, and training events.
The T.M.C. Asser Instituut is looking to appoint a full-time (38 hours per week) Senior Researcher in international and European sports law to join its dynamic and multinational research team.
Senior Researcher (Postdoc) in international and European sports law (Full-time)
As an active member of this Sports Law team, you will contribute to the acquisition, development and carrying out of (new) research projects and initiatives in close collaboration with the cluster coordinator.
The specific tasks of the successful candidate will include the following:
• You will conduct fundamental and applied, comparative research in the area of international and European sports law at an advanced level, leading to high-level academic publications and high quality advice/opinions for a multitude of clients.
• You will acquire and carry out externally financed research and academic service projects and participate in coordinating tasks in the management of projects.
• You will be expected, where possible and appropriate, to give presentations on your specific subject field.
• You will help organize dissemination activities such as trainings, workshops and conferences.
• You will maintain and further develop an international network of experts and stakeholders.
• You have recently completed your Ph.D. in an area of law relevant to sport.
• You have a good knowledge of EU law.
• You have a broad general knowledge of European and international sports law. Prior professional expertise in this specialist area, as can be demonstrated by publications and/or experience in legal practice, is desirable. It is more important, however, that you can demonstrate great potential and commitment to pursue a research career in the area of International and European sports law.
• You have an established record of research, publications, and acquisition of external funding for research and dissemination projects.
• You have experience in participating in collaborative research projects and are open to carry out inter-disciplinary research.
• You are an ambitious and motivated scholar with an international profile and an extensive professional network.
• You have excellent writing and presentation skills for promoting and reporting on research.
• You have an excellent command of English, both written and spoken. Knowledge of Dutch and other languages is an asset.
• You are flexible, proactive, and able to work both independently and as a strong team-player.
• You are capable of performing well under the stress of strict deadlines.
We offer employment as full-time senior researcher initially for 1 year, but renewable for a period of up to 6 years. The Institute is affiliated with the University of Amsterdam, whose conditions of employment are applicable. The salary will be in accordance with the CAO of the Dutch Universities and depending on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. The gross yearly salary (including holiday pay and an extra monthly payment) will be between € 45,742. — and € 62,627.–.
How to apply?
Applications should comprise a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae in EUROPAS format, a list of publications and the contact details of two referees. Applications must be sent in English, in MS-Word format to HRM@asser.nl before October 15, 2013.
Further information about the position can be obtained from Dr. Ben Van Rompuy, e-mail email@example.com phone +31-(0)70-3420 361) and Drs. Julien Simon, Head of Human Resources, e-mail J.Simon@asser.nl, phone +31-(0)70-3420 375.